Saturday, October 18, 2008

15 minutes of fame or should I say tame…

If you have been following my blog then you know I have my hands full this year with my fourth grade class. So far the past month and a half has been full of all sorts of attempts at classroom management, some phone calls home, visits from the principal and school psychologist as well as constant teaching and re-teaching classroom expectations. This past week I had my first 15 minutes of feeling like I was in control and a good teacher, the first time since September 1st. It just so happened that my most challenging student was absent (or so I thought) and my other student who is also a handful, finally started back on medicine to control his ADHD. Normally I juggle having to manage these two students, going back and forth, gently tapping the visual prompt I have placed on their desks and saying “oh I really like how so-and-so is showing me he is ready and listening with his bottom in his chair and his hand in the air”.

It is truly incredible just how much one student can change the atmosphere of the classroom. I had about 15 minutes of peace and quiet and really productive teaching time. My seven students were all engaged and participating and seemed to really be enjoying the math lesson. I even made my way over to my assistant and said, “Rana, look! I did it! They’re learning. I AM a good teacher!” Shortly after making the comment, as my seven students were quietly working, raising their hands and waiting for me to come to their desks to answer their questions, my eighth student slammed into the glass door, announcing his arrival.

Don’t get me wrong, I love this kid. I think that if the circumstances were different, if it was just the two of us working in a small and distraction-free space (aka no other students), inshAllah I could do incredible things with him. Although my quiet classroom quickly changed back into the more hectic, less productive one that I have grown used to I held on to those 15 minutes of fame. I sure hope those won’t be the last ones I’ll experience, having a classroom of students quiet and tame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

I have to "write in" and sympathize with you! My first year was full of classroom management issues...oh my goodness I can't tell you how many nights I came home in tears telling my roommates about how bad I was at it! But....those kids actually taught me how to manage a classroom. No, it didn't really benefit them at the time, but in the years following it has made all the difference. My principal now often mentions me when she wants to give an example of a highly structured classroom.

**Still to this day, though, my spirits lift a bit when it looks like one of my main troublemakers might be absent. And, yes, I do love her (they become your favorites!)**

~Christa