Friday, December 5, 2008

Kids say the darndest things - Part 2

S: Telling the truth is scary.
R: Would you like to tell me something?
S: Yes, but telling the truth is scary. Really scary.

S: Miss, did you know that here in Kuwait there is special chocolate that you can eat and it'll make you skinny?
R: (sigh) I wish.

R: Ok boys, when we get to school remember to thank our bus driver.
S: THANK YOU MARLBORO!!
R: Umm, habibi his name isn't Marlboro.
S: But that's what his name tag says... (looking at the pack of cigarettes resting on the dashboard)

S1: Once one of our maids ran away. I shouted at her and she ran away.
S2: You're not supposed to shout at them, that's haraam.
S1: She's not supposed to run away, that's haraam.

There is a long standing argument over whether or not one of my students is Kuwaiti. Despite his well known family name and good standing in this society, most of the boys are convinced that living in America has nullified that.
S: Miss, he's not Kuwaiti.
R: He lived in America for a few years but he is Kuwaiti.
S: He's not Kuwaiti. He's not. He lived in America that makes him American.
R: Well, I am American but now I live in Kuwait. Does that make me Kuwaiti?
S: pause... Yes

No comments: