Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Field Trip Fun

Today was such a fun day! Although several of my students started out a little grumpy, I think that all 10 of us – 7 students, Ms. Rana, one mom and I had a lot of fun. We spent the day at the Scientific Center. While planning where to take my students and how to connect it to an upcoming lesson I settled on the Scientific Center, having heard that the aquarium was a lot of fun. I will be starting a unit in Science about the oceans and thought that this would be a fun way to jump start our learning.

We left school around 9:15 and arrived at the Scientific Center around 9:40, after one very close call with a speeding taxi. After buying the tickets to the Aquarium and IMAX movie (chaperones were free woohoo) I brought the boys to the two dine in restaurants located in the building – Burger King and Pizza Hut. We placed our orders, paid and asked for the food to be ready for 11:30.

After getting the lunch orders taken care of, I took my class outside. The Scientific Center is right on the water and made a beautiful background for taking pictures. We also got to look at a very old Kuwaiti sailing ship. The weather was absolutely beautiful today. It has been a nice change from the 118 degrees in August to the temperature staying in the high 60s this week.


After our short trip outside we headed in to the IMAX theater. Although there were many grumbles and loud sighs because Deep Sea “isn’t as cool as Mummies” my boys sure seemed to enjoy it. It was my second or third time seeing an IMAX movie and I couldn’t help but be in awe throughout the film. I’ve always loved the ocean and been memorized by its beauty. For a long time, my dream job was to be a marine biologist so that I could play with dolphins and spend time in the water. While I couldn’t be happier with my career choice, I still love the ocean and its beautiful fish and plant life, subhanAllah.


Planning ahead sure paid off. It turns out the Scientific Center is a very popular field trip location; there were at least 10 if not more classes of 20-30 children. Not having to wait in line for food made having seven hungry boys manageable. After lunch we made our way to the aquarium. I was surprised by the number of non-aquatic animals they had on display; bats, hedgehogs, lynx, mice and snacks to name a few. The aquarium part was nice. There was one very large tank with four of five sharks, manta rays and many large varieties of fish.


Our last stop was the gift shop where I was pleasantly surprised by the items my students picked out. Most of the boys were given 5 KD (equivalent of 20 USD) to spend. Three out of the seven boys decided to purchase items for members of their family. One student pulled me aside and said, “Miss. Can you help me find something for my mom? I want to get her something really nice.” I was so proud of them, having bins of toys and knick knacks at their fingertips and deciding to bring something back for their moms, sisters, and one “very special” grandma.

Alhamdulillah it was such a nice day. Tomorrow is our last day of school before the four week winter break. Our Special Events Committee has planned an afternoon of “fun and games” which will be a nice wrap up to a busy but very successful first three months of school.

Coming home update: I have two suitcases almost completely packed, with an inventory of what is contained in each. I’m down to having my last load of laundry which will go in tomorrow night and traveling outfit picked out. Itinerary is printed and I have a ride to and from the airport. Two days and so excited!

1 comment:

Heather @CritterChronicles said...

Wow, cool that there are snacks and everything in the aquarium! :-) Sorry.

Whoohoo you're going home! It would be better if I were there, too, but you'll just have to make do, I suppose. Do you have your passport from the office? Y (Check!)

Call me when you get back!