Monday, February 9, 2009

Q & A

In an attempt to teach how to ask questions and the common words we use: who, what, when, where, why, how… I allowed my students to create a list of questions for me. See below for their very entertaining list, as well as my answers.

Q: Where do you live?
A: Al Muthana Street.. right down the road from the Boat Mall

Q: Do you like to play video games?
A: I wasn’t allowed to have video games when I was little. (gasps of horror) But I used to like to play Mario Kart at my friend’s house.

Q: Do you like chocolate?
A: I LOVE chocolate!

Q: You have seen a bear or deer?
A: Have I seen a bear or a deer? Yes, I have. In America my house is surrounded by woods and forests and I get to see lots of animals like turkeys, coyotes, bobcats and deer. My neighbor saw a bear and sent a picture of it to us.

Q: What your sister work?
Q: My sister (interrupted with: “she lives in Japan!”)… yes she lives in Japan. (another interruption: “is she married?”).. yes she is married. (again: “did she marry a Japanese man?”) No my sister married an American but he works in Japan. And my sister works as a mommy to my niece Brenna and Anthony. It is a very busy job but she’s wonderful at it. (The boys sit quiet, somewhat disappointed while Ms. Rana appreciated my comment)

Q: When you go to America can you call us?
A: Aw, that is a great idea. I will have to buy a phone card because it can be very expensive to call long distance.

Q: You feeling good or bad?
A: Another way we can ask that question is, how are you feeling? I am good thank you but my toe is hurt. (I closed the kitchen door on it last night)

Q: You like to go to the mosque?
A: Yes, I sure do.

Q: You like to be a Muslim or no?
A: I am very happy being Muslim.

Q: Do you like me?... I like you. (from my student who shouts, “I hate you!”)
A: Umm, no. I don’t like you. I love you all so much.

Q: What car do you drive?
A: I have a Honda Accord back home. Even if I had it here in Kuwait I don’t think I would drive it.

Q: Where do you work?
A: You should know the answer to that question silly – Fawzia Sultan

Q: Is your dad doing fine?
A: What a great question, yes he is. I got to talk to him on the computer last night.

Q: How is your child?
A: Do you mean, ‘do you have a child?’. “No.” Oh, well I don’t have a child yet so I can’t really answer that question. (Sighhhhhhh – from the student, not me)

Q: Do your father have a gun?
A: No my father does not have a gun.

Q: Do you have a DVD player in your car?
A: No. (I neglected to leave out that my car also doesn’t have power windows or locks)

Q: Ms. Rebecca was born in 1987.
A: That is called a statement, not a question. Can we fix it to become a question?
Q: When was Ms. Rebecca born?
A: I was born in 1984. (Student then says, "Aww man, runs back to his desk to change the year.)

Q: How did Ms. Rebecca become Muslim?
A: Oh, now this is a good question. I was going to college and worked with some people who were Muslim and I saw that they were very kind and good people so I started asking a lot of questions. I wanted to know why they weren’t eating during Ramadan and why they would have to leave meetings or activities when it was time to pray. I began learning about Islam and asking questions and realized that it was right.

This question started a whole new conversation and questions such as:
Q: Ooh so you used to have hair?
A: I still have hair, I just keep it covered under the hijab.

Q: Did you used to eat pork? What does it taste like?
A: I used to eat it, I never really liked it all that much.

Q: Were your parents upset when you became Muslim?
A: No my family has been very wonderful.

Q: What religion are your parents? Are they Christian? You know, you need to teach them about Islam Ms. Rebecca.
A: You're right, I sure do. They have been very good about listening to me talk about Islam, inshAllah someday they'll learn and feel the same way about it too.

Which was a segue back to their list of questions:

Q: What is your mom’s name?
A: Ann

Q: Who is your bodyguard?
A: Hmm, I don’t have a bodyguard.

Q: What is your pin code?
A: Pin code! For the ATM? Ohh, now that is secret!

Q: Do you have a tank?
A: A tank? Like a military tank? (shakes head to indicate yes). No, I don’t.

Q: What is your father’s name?
A: Mark

Q: Did you cry when you saw your parents?
A: Yes when I went home in December and got to my airport and got off the plane and saw my father I did start crying. I was so excited to see him. I missed my family very much.

Q: How many times did you eat from a fast food restaurant?
A: Oh let’s see… Not too many. I can’t think of an exact number for you.

Q: Do you like to play soccer?
A: It can be fun. Once my toe gets better I’ll bring my shoes and play with you during lunch.

Q: Why did you become a teacher?
A: I became a teacher because I love kids and learning. Being a teacher let’s me do both.

No comments: