Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why I sleep so well at night

Scene: Room 103 at FSIS. The bell rings. I finish filling out my two behavior charts and attempt to get my students settled for a lesson that I am trying to teach…. I can’t even remember what subject anymore. And here is why.

Student 1: “Miss why did I earn a middle face?”

Me: “I saw that you were not being as quiet as I know you can. A middle face means it was just ok, this period let’s see some great effort so we can end our day with a smiley face.”

Student 1: (Grumbles under his breath) “Ugh I hate school.”

Me: “Alright boys, eyes up front, let’s see who can earn our first star for showing me that they are ready to learn.”

Student 2: “Rarrrrr.” (He makes pouncing motions which causes the boys around him laugh, therefore, prompting him to continue.)

Me: “Student 2, please sit quietly so that we can begin.”

Student 2: “But Miss, I’m a tiger… Rarrrr”

Me: Sigh, “It would be nice if you could be a student for this lesson.. ooh how about a quiet one?”

Ms. Rana snickers.

I turn my attention back to Student 1 and notice he is scowling at his hand.

Student 1: “I want to go see the principal. My hand hurts. Look, you hurt me and I want to tell.”

Me: “Student 1, I didn’t touch your hand. If you hand is hurt you can certainly go visit our school nurse. A principal doesn’t know how to fix your hand.”

Student 1: “Maybe I wouldn’t have to go see the principal if you changed my middle face to a smiley one.”

Me: “Alright boys. Wow! I see that Student 3 is sitting quietly, he is facing the board and giving me a thumbs up showing me without using his words that he is ready.”

Student 4: “HAHAHA the eagle used the desert bathroom!!!” (Something one of my students decided to write into one of his free write stories last week that my classroom of 9 years old found hilarious)

Me: “Student 4, we are no longer going to talk about the desert bathroom. I should only hear comments that are appropriate and at this moment I shouldn’t hear any talking at all.”

Student 4: “Why can’t we ever talk? It’s always shhhh! REVENGE! YOU TELL ME ONE MORE TIME TO SHHH AND IT’S REVENGE.”

Me: “Oh class, I see people who are using a voice that is much too loud for our classroom. Remember if you want to say something you should let me know by raising your hand.”

Student 4: “REVENGE! IT IS STARTING NOW. IT’S GOING TO START AT HOME AND COME BACK WITH ME TOMORROW. REVENGE!”

Student 2: “Revenge!” (Followed by another tiger pouncing motion)

Student 5: “Miss, Student 6 won’t stop trying to pull my hat off. I got a haircut and I don’t want to show anyone.”

Student 7: “Miss my head hurts.”

Me: “Mine too..”

1 comment:

Mark Minor said...

My head hurts just from reading about it! Where do you find the patience?