Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tutoring

I am currently tutoring for three different families. Although it makes for a very busy week, I am really enjoying it.

Sundays and Tuesdays are by far my busiest days. I leave my apartment at 6:30 AM, spend the next 7 hours with my eight boys and then have from 2 until 3:45 to work in my classroom. The elementary department is currently revising our IEP assessments for the end of the year which is a huge task. We compare the old assessment with the new curriculum to ensure that the questions align with the goals and check for any errors. I have been assigned Grade 2 assessments for Reading, Writing and Math.

In addition to working on the assessments, I print off weekly outlines for the K family – two boys; one in grade 4 and the other in grade 2. All of their homework is organized online which is very convenient. I am able to access their grades, make sure they don’t have any missing homework and can get a hold of their assignments, upcoming projects and spelling words. This allows me to create spelling games and worksheets for the boys to help them prepare for any tests of quizzes later in the week.

At 3:45 my taxi picks me up and then drops me off in Qortuba, one of the wealthiest areas of Kuwait. I then let myself inside the beautiful house and spend the next hour working with both boys. I am always brought a nice snack and am bombarded with questions about America, my students and other aspects of my life. Today the topic of interest was why I’m not married. I told them that I’m still young which prompted the youngest one to give me a look. Curious, I asked him how old he thought I was. He replied, “umm 32. Yeah, 32.” When I told him I am 24 he nearly fell to the floor.

They are really wonderful boys who absolutely love stickers as well as the praise I hand out. Today I was given a bouncy ball as a special present for being the “most super teacher ever”. It’s amazing how much these boys love the word searches and other spelling games I bring them. I was told last week that when their family went to visit a friend who just had a baby, one of the boys suggested they name their daughter Rebecca. How sweet is that?

I stay with the K family for an hour (three times a week) and then meet my taxi outside.

I am then dropped off for my second tutoring job with the N family. Their home is right outside Kuwait City in Shamiya, another wealthy area and another incredible house. This boy is also in grade 4. We are currently working on math. Today we learned about fractions and dabbled in some division. Another very sweet boy, who apparently really enjoys the time we spend together. While talking with his mother last night she informed me that she had offered to take him out shopping and that she could cancel my session with him. His response was, “No that’s ok Mom. Ms. Rebecca is lots of fun. Maybe we can go another time.”

I told him today how proud I was and that I had shared this with his mom. He already knew I had told her and had received a gift because of it. Now, perhaps you will have the same reaction I did. I was expecting a DVD, new soccer ball, scooter or some other toy that 10 year olds like to play with. Guess again… this is Kuwait, I really need to keep reminding myself. This little boy got a plasma tv. (Is your jaw on the ground? Mine sure was.)

Again, during my one hour tutoring session I am always brought a nice tray of biscuits and crackers in addition to some coffee. I have a hard time finding something to complain about. Sure, it makes for a few 12 hour days but the children I work with are all really great.

Sundays and Tuesdays I get back to my apartment around 6:45 PM, just in time to drop my things and head to the masjid next door for isha prayer. Mondays will begin getting busy next week as my third family will be back from vacation. I work with their three children for two hours, from 4-6 and will then be off to Shamiya from 7-8. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays are a mix of the families and depend on who has a test coming up and so on.

I have to say one of my strengths is time management. I am able to use my planning periods in school to get my lesson plans ready for the upcoming week, finish my other assigned work and even have some time to sit and learn Arabic from Ms. Rana. While I am really looking forward to moving home and being close to my family and friends, I have to admit that I am really happy right now and am thoroughly enjoying my busy life in Kuwait.

No comments: