Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kids say the darndest things - Part 3

I realize that a majority of my posts center around my students. When I started blogging, I wanted to be able to share my experiences of living and working in Kuwait. Most of my time is spent in school and if I am not physically there, chances are I am lesson planning or thinking of my students. That being said, here goes another round of comments I was able to remember and write down to share.

S: I changed my birthday.
R: Really? Why is that?
S: I don't like having my birthday during Ramadan. We didn't get to have a party.
R: You know, we could have a belated birthday party for you so that you don't have to go through the trouble of changing your birthday.
S: Sigh.. I like the party idea but I think I still want to change my birthday.

Does that whale have chicken pox?

Hey those fish are doing the romance dance. - this was said while watching a movie about ocean animals during a scene when two fish were chasing eachother.

I want a new family.

R: If you come to America and visit Connecticut let me know so we can visit.
S: Really? What if you are busy in the summer?
R: I teach summer school but that is only a few hours everyday.
S: Miss, you need to take a break. Teach, teach, teach. (shakes head at me)

Miss, how do sharks... you know. Go to the bathroom?

S: Why aren't you a student?
R: I'm too old. And I've already been in 4th grade.
S: Did you go to university?
R: Yes. Why do you wish I was a student?
S: (long pause) You could be my partner.
*This conversation was with the student who often tells me he hates me and wishes I would go back to America.

2 comments:

Mark Minor said...

Maybe you should tell the Birthdayless boy that everyone's birthday is during Ramadan from time to time...

shams said...

Kids say the darnest things are like my FAVORITE posts they totally put a smile on my face :)

i love your kids! mashaAllah