Friday, January 16, 2009

Synonyms and Sentences

Yesterday during Speech and Occupational Therapy class, I strategically chose to accompany one of my students who was struggling to have a good day. Let’s just say, my presence was far from welcome. During a planning session earlier in the week, I had shared withe the Speech teacher that we were working on synonyms and had a particular group of students who could benefit from additional practice. Synonyms. It seemed like an innocent enough lesson, or so I thought.

After having students read a set of words and find its synonym pair on the table, they got an opportunity to create sentences. These are the two that stuck out from the lesson.

Word: thrilled

“I’m thrilled when I don’t have (a very dramatic look is thrown in my direction) HER as a teacher.”

Word: glad

“I glad that last year I had good teacher” (followed by the same look)

It is safe to say that this coming Sunday when I have my first formal observation in the classroom by administration, I have chosen to have students simply think of words with prefixes rather than create sentences.

No comments: