Monday, November 24, 2008

The boy next door...

Seeing that it gets a bit lonely living alone, I welcome whatever contact I can get with people, especially when outside of school. Luckily, my kitchen window directly faces the kitchen window of a really wonderful family in the apartment building next door. I’ve made friends with the mom and her youngest son, Abdullah. He is 2 and a half, adorable mashAllah and likes to stand on the sink and wave at me.

Just now his mom told me that every time she is in the kitchen doing dishes or getting something out of the fridge, Abdullah will run in, ask to be picked up and look out the window to see if my light is on. She said that he is always disappointed in the morning upon seeing a dark room without his neighbor’s smiling face.

Most people here in Kuwait put curtains or solid colored papers up to block their windows so people cannot see in. Instead, I don my hijab and long sleeves around the apartment and because of it have had quite a few nice conversations (and waves from Abdullah) with my neighbors next door.

No comments: