Thursday, November 27, 2008

Literary Day

Today the Special Events Committee held Literary Day at Fawzia Sultan. High school students competed in a poetry contest, middle school students read stories to elementary students and elementary school got to dress up, show off our costumes at an assembly and have an autograph party. It was a great way to end our week and the students really seemed to enjoy it.

I dressed up as Miss Ladybug from James and the Giant Peach, the story that I am only 20 pages away from finishing. Ms. Rana helped create a pair of antennae for me and cut out some black spots which I pinned to my red dress. I was originally going to use Eric Carle’s Grouchy Ladybug but did not want to risk my students making a connection between grouchy and Miss Rebecca. This way, if my students wanted to call me by my character’s name I still got in the respectful “Miss” rather than being called a grouch.

Grade 4 had a wide variety of costumes: a firefighter, swimmer, tae kwon do guy, warrior, British Airways pilot, Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, a doctor and a mailman turned rock star due to forgetting/not putting a costume together.



We spent the first part of the morning practicing what we would say at the assembly when introducing the book and talking about why our character was special. Lower and upper elementary grades were split up into two assemblies. Once they were complete, the lower grades treated us to a costume parade and then students were set free in the cafeteria to obtain as many signatures as possible.



Last period my classroom was full with over 18 boys, 7 from my class and the rest from middle school. My kids really enjoyed having the opportunity to interact with older students.



Click here to see pictures from today.

It’s hard to believe that there is only one week left before winter break and I’m sure my students are feeling just as anxious as I am.

No comments: