Saturday, November 22, 2008

Productive Saturday

While this may not be the most exciting post, it will give you a glimpse into how I am keeping myself busy while 6,000 miles away from everyone I love. Today I was surprisingly productive and I feel really good about it... Get ready to hear me gloat.

I woke up early this morning, around 8, which is at least 2-3 hours before my usual weekend wake up time. I stayed in bed for a while, going through emails and visiting some of my usual websites: BBC news, Digg, Facebook, Icanhascheezburger, IslamQ&A and so on. When I finally got up I decided that I should get a load of laundry in. I knew that sheets were my first priority. I wanted to be able to wash and have them out and ready to air dry before leaving to tutor.

After putting my sheets in my little washer/dryer machine located in my kitchen, I changed into workout clothes and walked next door to the gym. The other teacher apartment building has one apartment that has been turned into a little gym which is always open and ready to use. We have two treadmills, a stationary bike and an elliptical machine, all at least 5-10 years old but get the job done. There is also a free weight set along with a bench and one of those big balls for abs. I was able to distract myself while on the treadmill for a while by opening the large window that looks out over the masjid and my busy street.

By the time I finished my work out and was showered, I prayed zuhr and remembered to take my sheets out of the machine. I hung them to dry in my office and loaded the machine with some clothes. I cooked some barley and then searched my closet for something to wear. Seeing that I wasn’t in the mood to iron and liked the idea of staying in capris and a tee shirt, I slipped on my abaya and was out the door.

The family I tutor for lives just a 4 minute walk down the street. Today I only had to work with the two 9th grade students. We read a little history on Shakespeare’s life and Globe Theater, and then write summaries for each. We did a little work in their grammar books and then had a delicious lunch. The mom, an incredible cook, was out with a friend but left a tray of eggplant lasagna and a chicken pasta dish for us to eat. I always look forward to Saturdays, as it has become tradition for me to join the family for lunch in between tutoring sessions for their children and is by far the best meal I have all week.

I then walked to the small masjid next to their house to pray Asr. This mosque was really beautiful and had the softest, maroon and white carpet inside. Once I had finished I stopped to get a few groceries: 2 cans of 7Up Free, zucchini, cucumbers, bananas, milk, humus, deodorant, frozen veggies and batteries. As I waited in line I read the label on a box of laundry detergent that the man in front of me was buying. It said, Omo (the brand name) and then underneath DIRT IS GOOD. If dirt is so good why would we want to use soap to get it out of our clothes? Hmm…

After putting my groceries away I decided to do some cooking. I cooked some barley and then used it to make two different dishes - porridge, very simple breakfast with just barley and oats and then a beef barley soup. I also fixed my humus for the next few days. I can’t say I made it because the only effort I put into fixing it was opening the can and mixing in a little pepper and lemon juice.

It’s only 5:30.. I just prayed maghrib and am now sitting down on my couch with one of my cans of 7Up free and laptop. Once I get this posted I’ll do a little work on my lesson plans, not this week but for my last week of teaching before winter break. This upcoming Thursday is Literary Day which means that all students and staff will be dressing up like a character from a book. I’ve chosen my book and character outfit but am choosing to not tell in hopes that you will continue to read my blog.

Countdown update: Two weeks from right now, I will be getting off the plane at Bradley International and meeting my dad at baggage claim, inshAllah. I can’t wait!

I posted new pictures of my students' work. The new ones are pictures 17-27.

No comments: